Home
Radios
  Waldorp
    Insulinde
    46A
    502
Loudspeakers
Other items
Valves
Nostalgia
Links
For sale

 

Superheterodyne receiver
Shallow upright cabinet, walnut veneered. The front is decorated with a glass panel, with shows four etched swallows and the planet Earth. The panel can be illuminated by a 220 V, 15 W bulb that can be switched on and off, using a switch in the side of the radio.
The big glass station scale is illuminated from above by a scale lamp. The pointer is made of metal.
The radio has a number of controls in the sides. On the right hand side, the tuning knob and the wave length switch can be found. On the left, tone control, on/off/volume and the switch for the illumination of the glass panel. Sockets for antenna and earth can be found at the back of the radio.
The radio is part of the "Diamant" series (the 46B "Kristal" and the "Robijn" are also part of this series). Frequencies: short wave (16,5-51 meters), medium wave (200-575 meters) and long wave (750-1910 meters). Voltages: 125 and 220 AC/DC.
The design of the radio reflects the optimistic attitude that existed shortly after World War II. The swallows and the earth globe symbolise peace and hope.
The post-war shortages can be seen in the materials used. The wood used in some segments is recycled wood from crates and boxes. The radio is sometimes called "Tulip", because of its shape.
The first model appeared in 1946 and had three swallows and a small half moon etched on the glass panel (picture right). The model shown above was made in 1947 and is different in a number of details. For swallows instead of three, the station scale has brass rims, the loudspeaker is bigger (19 cm instead of 17 cm). The shape of the cabinet is also different: rounded edges below and straight sides at the top of the side panels. In this later model the round Waldorp medallion is replaced by the name "Waldorp" above the station scale.
The original price was f 370,-
The cabinet was restored by furniture restorer Ruben Spelbos, Utrecht.
Data Valves  
Serial number: 3432
Philips chassis number: 87962
Philips licence number: B05597
Dimensions  (whd): 54 81 24 cm
Made in: 1947
Purchased in: 2010
Voltages: 125, 220 V AC/DC
   
   

Click on a valve for more information

Circuit

 

 

What was broadcast in 1947?

 

Listen to "Midnight Song" by the AVRO Dance Orchestra "The Skymasters", leader Pi Scheffer, recorded in 1947.

Back
The cabinet houses a Philips 209U chassis. It uses the "four-tube" system conceived in 1941. Waldorp added a tone control unit, seen on the right and a separate antenna/earth connection on the left of the chassis. The black lamp is used in series with the lamp used to illuminate the glass panel.
The Philips 9696-05 loudspeaker (19 cm, ohms) with tilted sound diffuser is visible below. In earlier models the smaller 17 cm Philips 9678 loudspeaker was used.
Station scale
The Waldorp 46A by night
The station scale has a brass rim in the 1947 version of the radio. The scale is illuminated by a scale lamp, situated above the scale. Below on the scale, four small elephants carrying the Waldorp logo and a howdah (elephant chair) are visible as well as the text "Waldorp Diamant Serie".
Illumination bulb
Detail
Philips bulb 200 V, 15 W with bayonet fitting One of the four elephants on the scale

This page was last edited on 07.06.2019