With white lacquered cabinet,
light grey knobs and elm wood side panels. The
cover is made of acrylic glass.
The deck is a PC3 with
a Schumann-Merula SK451
mono crystal system. It has four speeds: 16, 33, 45 and 78
rpm. The radio part houses a superheterodyne
receiver with three wave lengths: medium wave,
long wave and FM.
The predecessor of this
combination, the SK4 (which does not have long wave), was
released in 1956. This was the first post-war
mass-produced device where design and
functionality were given priority.
The design is by Hans Gugelot in
close cooperation with Dieter Rams. In the
design functional aesthetics and user-friendliness are
combined. The Museum of Modern Art in New York
has an SK5 in its collection.
The German nickname for the
radiogram is "Schneewittchensarg" (Snow