"Jewel case" model
made of wood, covered with polyester in two
colours, black/grey and marbled crème, chromed metal front.
With medium wave and long wave. Battery: 9 volts PP9.
Built-in ferrite antenna. Six transistors; later models
have seven transistors. The radio switches on when the
lid is opened.
Listen to "Man of
Mystery" by The Shadows, recorded in 1960
The closed case
The built-in ferrite antenna can be seen below.
On top the wiring panel with the six transistors.
Transistor with "yellow circle",
made by Newmarket Transistors (NKT), subsidiary of Pye.
Newmarket Transistors Ltd., usually referred to
as NKT, and located in Newmarket, Suffolk, was a small UK
manufacturer of germanium transistors in the 1950's and 1960's.
The original company "The Transistor Development Company" was
formed in December 1953 as a wholly owned subsidiary of Pye Ltd.,
to manufacture small signal low frequency germanium transistors
for use in portable radios. In 1957 the company name was changed
to "The Newmarket Transistor Company" and in 1958, it was
changed again to "Newmarket Transistors Ltd". Newmarket did not
make any point-contact transistors, their first commercial
products were junction types released in 1956. Intriguingly,
they were true to their name and probably never made a single
diode. Their logo seems to have changed a few times, possibly
with the name changes, although they never printed a stylised
logo on their transistors, the earliest types having no branding
at all, and the later ones using the 'NKT' prefix.