regenerative single tube receiver that was built
by the Colin B. Kennedy Company. The receiver
covers from about 175 meters to 3250 meters and
uses an Armstrong three-circuitregenerative detector design.
Radio sets were sold in sections by early
manufacturers. First the detector section,
like the 220, was bought, then the amplifier
section, to increase the audio output. This gave the choice of using headphones or a horn
speaker. This was popular from 1920-1922.The 220 receiver could be purchased with a
matching type 525 amplifier.
The pair originally sold for over
$200 when introduced in 1921. Quality is
apparent with the silver plated dials on a
formica* panel, that is machine engraved. The radio is housed in a solid
Formica was invented in Cincinnati in
1913 by two young men, Herbert Faber and Daniel
O'Conor. It was intended to serve as an
electrical insulator and was created as a
replacement for Mica, which was used for that
purpose at the time. Hence the name 'for mica'.