Click on the picture for the situation before
Radioset, blocksystem, consisting of four connectable elements
In brown oak cabinets with ebonite front,
Bakelite knobs and brass coupling strips.
The set consists of a tuning unit
with a fixed and a movable coil, a HF unit with
1 tube and 1 coil, a detector unit with 1 tube and a power
amplifier with 2 tubes, probably all bright emitters.
The remains of 2 Philips DII tubes were found inside the unit, so the probable valve
line-up was Philips DII (HF unit), Philips DI (detector) and 2 x Philips DII
(amplifier). The radio came with a set of original coils. All coils have a solid and a hollow pin. The
coils look British, with a pin diameter of 4.8 mm and a center
distance of 19 mm. One
of the coupling transformers is from the German Böco (almost
certain not original), and the
other is stamped DPM.There are no other marked
The texts "Erres G RADIOFON" and "R.S. Stokvis &
Zonen" are placed on the HF unit. The other cabinets have
the text "RADIOFON", with the exception of the last, the power
An Erres G, made by Dutch firm N.S.F., was introduced in the Netherlands in 1923, but it
does not look much like this unit.The only similarity is that it
is also an HF module. The link with Dutch trade firm R.S.
Stokvis & Zonen (using the brand name Erres) is still not clear.
The set was found in Finland but was most likely made
The radio set comes from Finland, where it was
left in a summer house in 1939 by a Fin who fled
to Sweden at the outbreak of the Winter War between the Soviet Union and
Finland, which began on November 30, 1939 and ended on March 23,
1940.After WWII, in 1949, the summer house was bought
by a Finnish lady who found the radio there.A grandson eventually sought information about
Erres and Stokvis and ended up on my website.
In 2018 the set was given to me.
It was shipped to the Netherlands in January 2019. With many thanks to the generous giver: Carl
Fredrik Sandelin, Helsinki, Finland.
Given this history, the radio could have been
made in a number of countries in the wider area. Finland itself is not an option because the
abbreviations for long and short wave do not match the
abbreviations (L and K) used on the tuning unit.In Finnish, the letters P (Pitka) and L
(Lyhyt) would have been used.
Norway is most obvious the country of origin.
Norwegian sources, Radiofon is mentioned
as brand of Einar Rustad & Co, Rosenkrantzgt.
20/28, Kristiania (Oslo).This manufacturer
is active in the mid-20s of the last century.From 1923 the company makes radios,
sells radio lamps under the brand name "Radiofon" and material for DIY
The company's advertisements appear from 1923 to
1925. In 1926 the company went into liquidation and in 1927 the
written settlement took place. After the Second World War, a company called "Radiofon"
A/S) reappears in the city of Bergen, but this company seems to have nothing to do with the
company from the 1920s.
The building in
Rosenkrantzgate 20 in May 2019. The six-storey
building dates from 1916 and was designed by archictect Christian Reuter.The
confectionery factory of Fred T. Møller was
located here, and later also Radiofon of Einar
Rustad. It now houses Kelly Services Management.
March issue of 2008 of "Hello! Hello!", nr 101, of the Norwegian
Radio Association (Norsk Radiohistorisk Forening, NRHF) shows a picture of a
slightly newer Radiofon radio, probably from around 1924 (left), where especially a fairly
unique reversing switch stands out - and to a lesser extent - a
knurled nut with which the modules can be connected to each
other using a brass strip.
Radiofon receiver ca. 1924
Fiskaren September 19, 1923
Norway, the first experimental radio broadcasts begin in the
Spring of 1923
using a 500 Watt transmitter in
Tryvannshøgda near Oslo.
Everywhere in the country, daily
newspapers offer radio courses to subscribers.The courses are given in collaboration with
the company Radiofon, which also supplies the equipment.The cost of the course
is deducted from the purchase price.
newspaper "Nationen" e.g., on 14 September of that year
a radio course for its subscribers is announced: "Radiokurset
begynder om 8 dage". Radiofon units are used in this
course, according to this excerpt from the article: "For the
participants of the course there is, as you know, the
possibility to acquire very cheap but completely
effective radios. The devices are from the well-known "Radiofon"-type.
This means that all units are housed in cabinets of the
same size and with the same appearance, so you can
choose how large you want to make the radio when you
purchase the individual "blocks." Many would like to
start with a simple device, easy to operate and
inexpensive. If you want, after further exercise (and
saving enough money ...) new units or amplifiers can be
These can always
be easily connected with the units you have already bought, so
gradually, the range and volume can be adjusted. This major
advantage of the "block system" means that all "Radiofon"
devices are now manufactured according to this system".
It seems that this radio combination is one of
the first to come on the market in Norway.
Listen to "High
by King Oliver's Jazz Band,
recorded in Chicago, June 24, 1923
The Radiofon tuner
With a fixed and a
movable coil, an antenna connection, a series / parallel
switch (L/K), a tuning capacitor and a connection for a
frame antenna below.
The Erres G / Radiofon HF amplifier
With one tube, a fixed coil,
a switch for switching off the module, a switch for
polarizing the coils on the tuning unit.(in this way,
coils having a different winding direction can also be
used), a tuning capacitor and a rheostat for the
The Radiofon detector
With one tube, two
clamps, where a grid leak resistance can be fitted (for
slightly later tubes, not always necessary with bright
emitters) and a rheostat for the filament current.
With two tubes and two rheostats for
the flament current. Below, a binding post for a set of