rectifier) AC TRF receiver. Mottled brown Bakelite
cabinet and back panel. Oxidised bronze grille with
leaves and red loudspeaker cloth, cadmium-plated bent
iron frame chassis. The radio, designed by ir. Louis
Kalff, is a nice example of Art Deco design.
The 2634 was the first Philips radio with an integrated
loudspeaker (type 2034, type 2044 in the first models). The chassis has a date stamp of
July 16th, 1931.
The DC version is the 2637.
The volume control
knob and the wave band selection switch are situated at
the left hand side of the cabinet; reaction control,
tuning and fine tuning at the right hand side. Radios
using a B443 as output pentode have a switch that can be
used to disconnect the internal loudspeaker.
newspaper advertisements appeared on February 27th,
1931; the radio was introduced at the Jaarbeurs Fair in
Utrecht, that was held from March 10th until March 19th,
1931. Magazine Radio Expres described the radio as "very
modern and bold". The original price was f 257,50.
The two circuits
are tuned simultaneously using two mica condensers on
one shaft. Philips used this system for the first time
in this radio. A small
knob is used to adjust the first
circuit. Wave lengths: 200-450m, 400-950m and